My friends at Aviation Gin produced a great article about how to make a heart shaped garnish. I love the simplicity of it so much that I want to share it with you!
To Make a Heart-Shaped Cocktail Garnish:
- Use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to peel a large strip of orange, lemon, or grapefruit peel.
- Trim the edges with a small sharp knife to make a long rectangle.
- Starting 1/2 an inch away from the edge, cut a long slit down the middle, all the way through the other edge.
- Shape into a heart — the intact end should be the point of the heart, and the loose ends should come together in the middle. You may need to trim the loose ends to get the shape and size you want.
- Use a cocktail pick to pierce through the sides and middle of your garnish, about 2/3 of the way down.
- Stir or shake up your beverage, expel oils with a standard twist if you’d like, and garnish away!
Not only do they make a great Gin but this easy to make heart is beautiful!